Photography is a beautiful thing done well, many try and fail to make a career out of it, but a select few make a successful career shooting beautiful models and creative campaigns for the world’s brands. We sat down for the first edition of ‘The Journal’ with photographer Mr.Tom Joy to find out his favourite things in life, originally from Aberdeen and now based between Leeds and London, Tom is one of the best ‘up and coming’ photographers of the day.
1) How did you start your career?
2) Explain your career and your role.
Food & Drink:
– Dish: Ramen, and anything with hummus.
– Beer: Northern monk’s Heathen IPA.
– Restaurant: Leeds based: Ambiente, Ox club, Suhkothai.
– Style Icon (Dead or alive): None.
– Childhood Hero: Chester Bennington, Colin Jackson (UK sprint hurdler), Jim Carrey.
– Actor: Jim Carrey, Matthew McConaughey, Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt – all legends.
– Current Phone: iPhone 6S
– Current Laptop: MacBook Pro 15″
– Current Sound System: Laptop, speakers, I use Amazons echo dot via Spotify.
Tools Of The Trade: Current
– Current Camera: Canon 5D MKIV
– Editing Suite: Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop
– Headphones: apples own in-ear or Sudio Sweden inner ear or headphones.
– Added Extras: I use a paper diary / schedule and write into it using pen. It 2017 yo. I’ve been using an instax mini 8 all year taking one shot every day for a personal documentary. My loupe has become a trade mark for reviewing photos on location on the back of my camera screen. If I’m on a shoot you’ll see it around my neck from start to finish unless I’m tethered to laptop.
Style: (Current Favs – own or not)
– Sneakers: Old Skool Vans.
– Jeans/Chinos: Nike SB black slim fit pants, dickies camo pants dickies shorts.
– Shirt: Anything by Carhartt.
– T-Shirt: Dickies basic t-shirts.
– Shorts: Dickies or Carhartt.
– Jacket: a bright red water proof collared Raised By Wolves jacket that I adore.
– Sunglasses: tens! They ‘filter my world’ – seriously it is like when Bradley Cooper took that drug in Limitless.
– Hotel: Airbnb almost every time!
– Packing Essentials: Camera, Cash, plug adapter, external phone charger pack, external hardrive, laptop, sunscreen, glasses, hat, iPod (my classic Gen. 5 is still going strong!) headphones and a book. Maybe some saved episodes of something via Netflix or Amazon Prime.
– Book: Foxcatcher by Mark Shultz.